August 19, 2008

HotB: In game Terms for Ranks




So I was thinking, in most game they have terms that don't translate well with the real world. If I ask you "How strong are you?" You might say not very or average, or some other adjective. Well in game talks it easy to fall into using stats. The how strong are question might be answered with, "I have a strength of 16." In some game systems a 16 Strength would be good where another game system it would be bad. And unless you know the differences, the defining of a 16 strength is meaningless. During a game it's necessary to use these terms. Like when a character gets hit with a weapon. You take 25 Flesh wounds, or you lose 25 Hit points. Now the Storyteller, Dungeon Master, Game Master or whatever name you use to describe the person running the game. Could keep track of these numbers and let the player guess how serious the wounds are, but that's a lot of work. I tried it once. Usually the problem most notably comes into play with magic items. How do you say you have a +3 Sword of Slaying without saying +3. Well a group I played with awhile ago had a way.
"A quick-and-dirty numerological nomenclature for the arcane, using badly remembered Latin, probably improperly conjugated:
  • +1 Defixus Elementum (Elementary, or first, enchantment)
  • +2 Defixus Itarum (Second enchantment)
  • +3 Defixus Tertium (Third enchantment)
  • +4 Defixus Quartum (Fourth enchantment)
  • +5 Defixus Dominor (Supreme, or royal, enchantment)
Thus, "The sword has all the signs of an Itarum enchantment" would indicate a +2 sword."
Houses of the Blooded is no different. Everything has a Rank. My Spouse has a Rank. My nifty sword has a rank. My lands have ranks. The higher the rank the better the thing is. I was thinking about using those terms from that group for the Houses game I'm running. So a Rank 2 Bloodsword would be Itarum Bloodsword or Defixus Itarum Bloodsword. I am also think of using other terms for injuries, works of art, vassals. Anything that has a rank, will have a description to it. So I don't refer to my Rank 2 Spy Network, but my Adept Spy Network. Novice Staff, (Rank 1).

Injuries
  • Rank 1: Light Injury or Flesh wound
  • Rank 2: Moderate Injury or Minor wound
  • Rank 3: Serious Injury or Major wound
  • Rank 4: Critical Injury or Crippling wound
  • Rank 5: Potentially Fatal Injury or Near Mortal wound
Vassal Ranks
  • Rank 1: Novice
  • Rank 2: Adept
  • Rank 3: Expert
  • NPC's: Master
Lands
  • Rank 1:
  • Rank 2:
  • Rank 3:
Items of Quality or Works of Art
  • Rank 1:
  • Rank 2:
  • Rank 3:
  • Rank 4:
  • Rank 5:
Parties
  • Rank 1:
  • Rank 2:
  • Rank 3:
  • Rank 4:
  • Rank 5:
I'm still working on these last ones.




No comments: