January 09, 2010

Happy New Decade!!!!

I quit doing doing New Year Resolutions a long time ago. I never saw the point. Resolutions sounds like wishful thinking. For those that still do this, I wish you the best of luck in resolutions. For me it just doesn't work.

Instead, I come up with goals I wish to accomplish each year. Goals for me are more definite. they can be measured and evaluated. Over the past few weeks I have looked at last years goals and will be post this years goals.

Last year's goals
• Pay off last credit card. Failed
Had Varsity Gold stayed in business I believe I would have accomplished this goal. Being unemployed for two months can cause a person to drastically re-evaluate ones financial obligations. I managed to stay current with making monthly payments, but failed to pay it off.

• Put $150 into savings. Sort of
During my unemployment I had to tap into my savings to cover living expenses. After becoming employed again I resumed putting money back into my savings. This time at $200 a month. The extra covered the two months I did not put in and then some. But I did not cover the money I withdrew during my unemployment.

• Purchase new computer. Accomplished
I wasn't able to purchase it without credit, but I did purchase a new computer. Originally I was wanting it for my own freelancing, but I got the computer for school.

2010's Goals
I am using the S.M.A.R.T. model for my goals.

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Realistic
T - Timely

• Pay off computer before August. (That's when I'm hit with deferred interests charges.)
• Pay off Citi Card and close account. (Timely doesn't really matter because I don't owe a whole lot and should have it paid off in a few months.)
• Put $200 in savings each month.
• Get Freelance Design Website up and running. End of the Year.
• Get Gaming Company Website up and running. End of the Year.
• Finish First Game Idea. (Does not have to be published, just finished.) This one isn't a very good SMART Goal because it is too vague, but I'm keeping it on the list.

Happy New Year and Good Luck with your Goals and Resolutions,

No comments: