January 09, 2010

Who was the idiot that though that was a good idea?

So recently there have been a lot of single posts on woman's facebook pages. This single word is a color, nothing more, nothing less. A color. Great I'll bite, I like a good mystery. I play around trying to figure it out. No more clues, ok, boring moving on.

A couple days later I hear a news report about it on the radio. The color is suppose to be the color of the bra the woman is wearing at that moment. OK, mystery solved. Now I look like the idiot that posted color in reply to my friends page. Ha ha ha you got me, I'm wearing a cerulean bra. Not first time I've looked like an idiot and I am sure it will not be the last. Life would be boring if it were. I hope someone got a good laugh out it. If not, I'm disappointed.

Come to find out, it some viral campaign for breast cancer awareness. Cool, I'm down with preventing cancer of any form. Wait a second?!? A viral campaign where you post cryptic messages on your facebook page. Basically one big inside joke? No one knows the meaning behind it, except for the few select people that are in on the joke. So remind me, how this bring about awareness?

Awareness it to make people who are unaware of a problem or situation aware. The people posting the single color on their facebook pages are aware of breast cancer. They post their bra color, and never explain the meaning behind it. Those not in the know, like me (before the radio report) who happens to be aware of breast cancer the dangers of it, are never informed of it meaning. Which also means those unaware of breast cancer will also never be made aware breast cancer. Fun idea, poor implementation as the point of the color posts, make people aware of breast cancer, did not make people aware.

As an aside, if anyone wants to see me in the cerulean bra, e-mail me and I might just send you a picture. ; )

No comments: