September 12, 2008

Character Profile: Introductions

Every now and then I will take a look at either a current character or past character I have or had in one of the many games I've played over the years.

First I will take the *Mary Sue litmus test. Then I will record the score here. Then I will describe the character, his or her actions and any stories I may have about the character. I'll try to limit the game mechanics talk to a minimum when taking about the character so that if you're not familiar with the setting or mechanic of the setting you can maybe enjoy the character as much as I have.

*For those that don't know what a Mary Sue character is, it is a character that is flawed plot-wise. Something about it makes it unbelievable in some way.

From wikipedia

Mary Sue, sometimes shortened simply to Sue, is a pejorative term used to describe a fictional character who plays a major role in the plot and is particularly characterized by overly idealized and clichéd mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".
So for my first character Profile, it will be Bran.

To be continued...

No comments: