October 15, 2008

Ecstasy of Gold (what I'm listening to right now)

I loved this tune the first time I heard Metallica use it for the opening to one of their concerts. I didn't know what it was at the time, but still I loved it. Years later when Metallica released their S & M album, there it was. Ecstasy of Gold. I was in love again.

Sunday I was watching football, if you can call the Dallas/Arizona game football, but thats for another time. Cut to a commercial break. I leave the room to check on my fantasy team. I come back and what do I hear but the intro of a piano followed by a melancholy violin that leads into a haunting female vocals accompanying by a myriad of other instruments. I'm intrigued at what I'm hearing. I sit and watch the commercial as if I'm watching a movie. The music builds and adds to the suspense to the story the commercial is telling. A story of two kids as they grow up playing football. Ending with a bone crushing tackle. The two kids, now adults, meet on the football field in the NFL. A wonderfully done commercial, dare I say moving. But ever since I heard and then saw the commercial I can't get the song out of my head. I've listen to it repetitively like a morphine addict continually pressing the button to get his next dose. I've listen to the original motion picture score version from the movie The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I've listen to Metallica's version. I've listen to Philharmonic Orchestra versions. I listen to Yo-Yo Ma's version on the cello. I watched people on Youtube play their versions of it. I can't get enough of this tune and the more I listen to it, the more I crave it.

Damn you Nike.

Or should I be thanking you for reintroducing me to this wonderful piece.

Edit: Here's the commercial.

No comments: