October 23, 2008

Reality Jumps the Shark

Tuesday night I was channel surfing, "Weeeeeee", and as I was flipping through the channels I stop on MTV. "Oh Shit, Wave!" CRRRAASSSSHH! And what do my eyes behold, but Paris Hilton and her Reality TV show Paris Hilton's My New BFF. Now I'm not a big fan of "Reality TV" I though Survivor was a cool idea until I watched the first episode and thought, "Well that sucked." Here I thought it was about people, oh I don't know, having to survive in the wilderness. It's not about surviving in the traditional sense. It's about being a lying, sneaky, bastard and being able to get away with it. You don't have to have some silly gimmick like throwing people into the middle of some jungle to play that game. Hell, they could have locked them all in a gymnasium and called it High School for Grown Ups and would have pretty much achieved the same thing. Or just get 7 people to play the game Diplomacy.

Anyway I got off on a rant, sorry. Back to Paris. So her new show is about her search for a new Best Friend and I can't for the life me understand why anyone would want to be her friend. But then I can't stand; Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Hannah Montana or is it Miley Cyrus?, just to name a few. When ever their names pop up in some news story (as if you can call that news) I usually have to ask myself, "and why do I care?" What's with the media thinking I give two flips about these train wrecks of pop culture. I understand why they pop up on Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood. But they've even polluted what I thought was respectable media outlets like CNN, ABC, Fox News. Now I have to turn to BBCA World News if I want real news. Normally I'd change the channel when I see something like this. I was so flabbergasted, I was like a deer caught in headlights. I was stunned, paralyzed and forced to watch what flashed before me. Paris Hilton has her own reality show? "You have got to be freakin' kidding me?" Well she does, and it just shows how shallow she really is. She has people who are kissing her ass, while trying to sabotage the other contestants (if you can even call them that), all for the chance to be her friend. I think I'd rather be the BFF to a leper or a rabid ferret with a cocaine addiction. Now I'd like to tell you all I changed the channel and never looked back. But I didn't. I ended up watching Scrubs on WGN but had to switch back now and then to make sure what I saw was real. Ironically the theme for the episode was about who was real and who was fake. After some kind of contest, Paris brought in someone to question all the contests, and then rated them on who was the most real and who was the most fake. Then at the end someone went home. I don't know who I could only stomach a few seconds of it at a time. I think if I had top secret information, someone could get me to talk by just forcing me to watch this show. Just when I think "Reality TV" has jumped the shark, they surprise me with something so stupid, so outrages, I just have to hang my head shame and weep that I'm part of the human species. Can I de-evolve back into an ape or something?

No comments: